Cave Conservation and
Management Section --- Conservation Section Home
Who We Are
The Cave Conservation and Management Section
National Speleological Society was
formed to provide a central clearinghouse for research, expertise, and
information in the fields of cave conservation and management.
What We Do
- The Section publishes a newsletter, The Cave Conservationist, several times a year to facilitate
communication on cave conservation issues and keep members up to date on
the latest cave conservation happenings.
- The Section cosponsors cave management symposia at national and
regional levels and assists the NSS Cave Ownership and Management
Committee in managing the Society's caves. Some of the symposia
proceedings have been published and are available from the NSS Bookstore.
- The Section provides grants for vital cave conservation projects,
such as the Contemporary Cave Use Study.
- The Section holds an annual meeting each year at the NSS Convention to conduct business and
discuss cave conservation problems and issues.
- The Section also conducts a session on cave management and
conservation at the NSS Convention, with papers presented on a variety of topics. The
Section also sponsors individual Seminars and Symposia on a variety of
cave conservation related issues.
- The Section presents two annual awards to a group affiliated with
the NSS and an NSS grotto for contributions to cave
- Additional projects include development of literature for specific
use of cave managers and people directly involved with management of
caves, and assistance to the NSS Conservation Committee in developing
guidelines for the NSS Board of Governors to assist in decisions regarding cave
acquisition and conservation issues.
What You Can Do to Help
Join the Section. It's only $5 a year. For
information, click here.
If you'd like to help out with Section
activities, contact the one or more of the section officers via email.
If you'd like to contribute something to The
Cave Conservationist, our periodical, send it via e-mail to the editor.
Attend the Section's annual meeting held
during a luncheon each summer during the NSS Convention. Watch the NSS Convention Program for information.
Return to the Cave Conservation and Management
Section Home Page